Fernham St John & Village Hall
The Church of St John the Evangelist is a small, grade II listed, building in the centre of Fernham. Although its style is thirteenth century gothic, it was in fact consecrated in 1861 by the Gothic Revival Architect JW Hugall to serve as a chapel of ease for Longcot.
A chapel of ease is a church building built within the area of an existing parish for use by those who cannot easily attend services in the mother church. There is a service every week in St John’s – mainly at 9am with either Holy Communion (1st and 3rd Sundays) or Morning Prayer (2nd Sunday) but there is an evening service at 6pm on the fourth Sunday of the month. The church is also authorised as a venue for weddings, baptisms and funerals. However, there is more to St John’s than that: it also serves as the village hall following a major re-ordering and refurbishment project between 2005 and 2010, which preserved the best of the church building including the font and some lovely stained glass, but added a beautiful new oak floor, a small but well appointed kitchen, comfortable chairs, a toilet and a car park. This makes it a very versatile venue for village events and private hire.