Bourton St James
We welcome adults and children alike to our Family Service at 10am on the first Saturday of the month and Family Communion at 9am on the third Sunday. We hope you will stay for refreshments and a chat afterwards.
Messy Church, with creative activities for children, focuses on key events in the Christian year and is held regularly in the Village Hall.
The highlight of the year is our candlelit Holy Communion service on Christmas Eve at 6pm, where the village children dress up as various members of the nativity to build a living crib, along with mulled wine for the adults and the traditional handbells rung by the Shrivenham bell ringers.
St James is located on the outskirts of the village of Bourton in the direction of Bishopstone. It was founded and built in 1859 following the purchase of a plot of land by Mr T. Tucker, and its foundation stone was laid on August 8th of that year by Jane - Viscount Barrington. Prior to this the village had no church, and villagers would meet in a hut at the bottom of The Hill to worship. Bourton is a small village, but the church remains important both to the villagers and to Pinewood School, who hold regular services there when Saturday school is in session. Village services welcome adults and children alike to enjoy the service, but also coffee and biscuits following it.
Please visit www.bourton-oxon.org.uk for details of the latest service times and our fundraising activities.